President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday, signed eight bills earlier passed by the National Assembly into law during a brief signing ceremony which was held inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The senior special assistant to the president on national assembly matters (senate), Ita Enang, briefed state house correspondents after the president gave assent to the bills. Enang said the bills signed include the Legislative Houses (Powers and Privileges), 2018.
The presidential aide said the Legislative House Powers and Privileges Act grant the legislative houses in the national assembly and state houses of assembly immunity from litigation for actions taken in plenary or committee proceedings of the house or committee.
The Act grants members of the national assembly and state houses of assembly immunity from litigation for actions taken in plenary or committee proceedings of the house or committee. Enang said the law is meant to strengthen the power of the legislators to carry out their legislative functions.
Other bills signed by the president are;
1. Avoidance of Double Taxation Agreement between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Kingdom of Spain (Domestication and Enforcement ) Act, 2018
2. Rail Loan (International Bank) (Repeal) Act, 2018
3. Chartered Institute of Project Managers of Nigeria (Establishment) Act, 2018
4. Chartered Institute of Local Government and Public Administration Act, 2018
5. Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service (Establishment), Act, 2018.