Fairy-tale weddings are often accompanied by an earth-shattering price tag, and Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli’s nuptials at the Borgo Finocchieto was no exception. An 800-year-old village and boutique property, encompassing several villas which can house dozens and host hundreds, which is rented out wholly, the Borgo recently featured at the number 2 spot on Forbes Magazine’s exhaustive list of the world’s most expensive holiday resorts. Forget fancy suites, these are entire buildings, settlements and, as mentioned, villages that are built and maintained to cater to every ridiculous demand of their wealthy patrons.
Given that it’s difficult to to put a figure to luxury (one man’s cottage being another man’s palace and all that), we’ve decided to keep the cap at only those resorts costing more than a modest $100,000 per week (roughly Rs 65 lakhs). Given that these are THE choice vacation venues for the Christmas-New Year period, it’s no surprise that sun-soaked locales are preferred to more winter-y, and more traditional, luxury destinations of Paris, Zurich, Vienna and other snow-bound retreats in the north. This means the well-heeled now prefer to flock to the Caribbean and Latin America to bring in Christmas and the new year in swimwear and sandals. Indeed our list comprises only one property in France, while the majority of the remainder are located in and around the Caribbean. Tuscany in Italy, however, walks away with the most properties in the list; as Diane Lane, and more importantly, Anushka and Virat, discovered, everything is better under the Tuscan Sun.
9. Dream Catcher, Park City, Utah – $105,000 per week
8. Villa Casanova, Tuscany, Italy – $116,000 per week
7. Villa Manzu, Papagayo, Costa Rica – $140,000 per week
6. Palmasola, Mexico – $140,000 per week
5. Villa Rockstar, St Barthelemy, Caribbean – $145,000 per week
4. Chalet Edelweiss, France – $145,000 per week
3. Borgo Santo Pietro, Tuscany, Italy – $146,944 per week
2. Borgo Finocchieto, Tuscany, Italy – 147,312 per week
1. Hacienda Santa Ines, Costa Rica – $192,500 a week