|Best Dog Blog Finalist - Who Me?|
And this is why I was so shocked (like fall-off-my-chair shocked) to be among the finalists for Best Dog Blog. While the other three amazing dog blog finalists are off doing extraordinary things like hiking, trekking, and traveling to the far corners of the world, Ruby is just trying to figure out what it means to be a dog, and whether or not she might really be part cat.
We are kind of cat bloggers disguised as dog bloggers or some weird hybrid of the two. All last week I was waiting for someone to pop out and be like "oops, we made a mistake - no Best Dog Blog nomination for you"
|Are the scary squeaky things still there?|
Ruby's Confessions About Her Non-Dogness and Fondness For All Things Feline1. Squeaky toys scare the heck out of Ruby, tug toys confuse her, and interactive games wreak havoc on her self-esteem. She has a basket full of toys, but only one that she actually enjoys (a purple bear from her former foster family).
2. Ruby has yet to discover her inner wolf. She has no interest in squirrels, birds, or any other little creatures. She also doesn't bark - ever! I guess this makes her more rabbit than Cat.
|The family that trains together, stays together.|
4. Cats are Ruby's safe place. She has some separation anxiety and the cats serve as her therapist, occasionally talking her off the ledge (AKA couch). Pretty sure she sticks to Rosie like glue while we are at work and school.
5. Ruby has a fondness (more like an addiction) for cat food. We are forever constructing new barriers to keep her away. While the other dog blog finalists are climbing mountains, visiting ancient temples and dining at European cafes, Ruby devotes her energy to finding new ways around the baby gate that separates her from that oh so yummy, salmon and chicken blend.
|Backyards are weird especially when there are no cats around.|
7. Ruby is socially awkward around other dogs. She was removed (along with many other dogs) from her former home because of severe criminal neglect. I imagine there may have been some fights over limited resources like food and water, which might explain her jitters and occasional reactivity around other dogs. We always celebrate the small victories when she plays nicely and bravely with other canines.
8. Water is the ultimate enemy. Ruby and Rosie are united in their extreme dislike of water. A few summers ago, we drove from Chicago to Cape Cod. Our former dog, Pip, loved water and I assumed Ruby would as well. Only she didn't. I'm pretty sure she is still mad at me for
|Ruby feeling the Ocean love. Not so much.|
But jokes aside, I have enormous respect and admiration for all my fellow nominees and I am honored to be among such an unbelievably talented group of bloggers. From the bottom of Ruby's sweet, but slightly confused heart, thank you for accepting and loving her as she is.
Congratulations to my fellow nominees!
Best Dog Blog
You Did What With Your Weiner
Long Haul Trekkers
Best Cause Blog (more on my fellow cause bloggers next week)
Three Chatty Cats
Savannah's Paw Tracks