When one gets into fitness, it’s easy to forget to take care of one’s self beyond fitness/body goals. I have realized that there are certain aspects of one’s health we tend to overlook. Some of these can affect our fitness and physical appearance now, but some are more long-term and effects will manifest in our latter years.
One of these vital, but easy to ignore issues is that of Blood type. A lot of us don’t know anything beyond what our blood type is. Your blood type could make you more susceptible to certain ailments, more immune to others, handle certain foods differently and might have a number of risk factors. Knowing about your blood type gives you insight into your health. Consult your doctor on how best to manage the implications that come with your blood type.
Another aspect you should be aware of, is your family medical history.
Some conditions are genetic, therefore knowing your family medical history lets you know what conditions you are at risk of developing. You might even be able to identify the signs if you know a certain genetic medical condition exists in your family.
This kind of knowledge will equip you to live your life in a way that allows you to reduce the likelihood of the illness . For example with Breast Cancer, studies show that regular exercise and limiting your alcohol intake can lower your likelihood of breast cancer. If you know your family has a history of breast cancer, you have the power to prevent it early on.
A third important aspect is your vitamin needs. You could feel fine, but your body probably needs some nutrients that you are not aware it needs. Vitamin D deficiency has been known to manifest as mental health issues. It’s important to check with your doctor or find information from a reputable source, on what the recommended amount of vitamins for your body is. These vitamins should ideally be consumed through fruits and veggies and other nutrient, dense foods, but one can always take them as supplements.
Last, but not least, and I am very sorry to the “while they sleep, we grind” gang. The bad news is, you’re depriving yourself of optimum brain function by not sleeping enough. There has been research done to show that if you don’t sleep enough, your brain cannot flush out toxins from the body as it should, cause it becomes heavy duty work. This in turn disrupts brain function
So, the ones who are sleeping while you’re grinding late in the night, will think better than you in a business negotiation. They rested, their brains are sharper than your tired one. Recommended sleep for an adult is 7-9 hours.
Health & Fitness tidbits
1. Fruits and veggies can help the body produce its own aspirin.
2. When compared with a single cigarette, one hookah session delivers approximately 125 times the smoke, 25 times the tar, 2.5 times the nicotine, and 10 times the carbon monoxide.
3. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn at rest. Muscle tissue eats fat at all hours of the day.
4. Only fat and protein are essential macronutrients – carbohydrates aren’t. But you shouldn’t cut out carbs altogether.
5. You don’t need to be perfect from the start with your diet, you can gradually get into it. Like I mentioned in “Eating Clean Isn’t A Punishment” https://fitblackwomanblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/21/eating-clean-isnt-a-punishment/
Questions? Siggestions? Hit me up in the comments!