1. Conceptualize Urban Administration and discuss the major features
2. State the three conditions necessary for a stable urban environment
3. Discuss the major Structures of Urban Administration
4. Identify the 7 conditions necessary for the control of Urban Machinery
5. What do you understand by political possibility of urban policy
6. Discuss the importance of operational possibility when implementing urban policies
7. Discuss the role of the three arms of government in managing urban services
8. Discuss how government intervene in urban administration
9. Discuss the government regulatory measures introduced to improve urban development in Britain
10. Discuss how public housing measures by local government affected urban development in Britain citing concrete examples
Question 1:Conceptualize Urban Administration and discuss the major features
Solution: Conceiving Urban administration, Hozelt has argued that to understand the administrations of urban centres, we need to decipher the difference between generative and parasitic urban centre. The administration of an urban centre is seen to be generative if units produce impact in terms of administration and effective economic activities while the parasitic is the reverse. Urbanization which is a process where human being congregate in relatively large number is a universal phenomena and involves serious governance as it expand.
The administrative and functional specialization theory of urbanization is based on the specialization of functions among human communities through the division of labour. The functional specialization either by individuals or groups is a given time and period deals with the performance of activities so that goods and services can be produced by the communities.
Two important issues came out from this specialization:
1. The first deals with the need to coordinate the activities of the numerous but interdependent producers. In terms of urbanization, the role of coordinators is performed by entrepreneurs and administrators.
2. The second deals with human ingenuity with respect to pre-occupation with narrowed range of operations such that would lead to the discovery of new and more ways of performing the same operations.
Question 2:State the three conditions necessary for a stable urban environment
1. The urban centres must be with surplus of food production to feed the urban class of specialists
2. Existence of class of people capable of exercising power and influence stable and peaceful urban environment
3. There must be a class of entrepreneurs to augment the role of the public sector.
Read more »