The STORGY ‘EXIT EARTH’ Short Story Competition is open to all. Final embraces beneath a sky of flames. Tears of joy aboard a sinking ship. Laughter in a lonely land. We are looking for fiction that explores life – be it past, present, or future – on, or off – this beautiful, yet fragile, world of ours. Dystopian or utopian, realist or fantasy, horror or sci-fi, comedy or romance, we explicitly welcome entries in all genres.
We are thrilled to announce that the STORGY Short Story Competition will be judged by critically acclaimed author
Diane Cook is the author of the story collection Man V. Nature, and was formerly a producer for the radio show, This American Life. Man V. Nature was a finalist for the Guardian First Book Award, Believer Book Award and the Los Angeles Times Art Seidenbaum Award for First Fiction, and received Honorable Mention for the PEN/Hemingway award. Her stories have appeared in Harper’s, Tin House, Granta, and elsewhere and anthologized in Best American Short Stories. She is the recipient of a 2016 fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts. She lives in Brooklyn, NY.
The Period for Submissions opens on 24th February 2017
1st Prize – £1,000
2nd Prize – £500
3rd Prize – £250
Finalists will be published in The STORGY Short Story Competition Anthology
£10 Entry Fee
Submissions for the 2017 STORGY Short Story Competition will be accepted from 24th February 2017
The deadline for receipt of entries is 11.00pm 31st May 2017
How to Enter
Applicants are encouraged to submit online to [email protected] as early as possible before the deadline.
Instructions for Entering by Email
1) Type and format the short story as per the following instructions: Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) with the story title and author identity in the file name.
One entry per author
Written in English
A maximum of 5,000 words
Font: Garamond, 12pt, black
Front page with title of the story, author name, and word count
2) Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) with story title and author name in the file.
3) Attach the file to an email and state the following in the subject field ‘EXIT EARTH – TITLE OF STORY’.
4) Complete payment of £10 entry fee via Paypal and include the billing reference number within submission email.
5) Send submissions for the 2017 STORGY Short Story Competition to [email protected]
5) Please ‘like‘ our Facebook page, follow our Twitter and Instagram accounts, and share details of the competition with friends and family.